TERENA, an organisation representing the European National Research and Education Networks (NREN), has established a WebRTC task Force under the auspices of its Technical Programme in order to provide a forum for exchanging and promoting ideas, experience and knowledge, as well as fostering collaborations.
Research networks chose WebRTC
TERENA believes that WebRTC creates an opportunity for the European R&E community to solve its real time communication challenges. WebRTC may finally offer a path towards a large-scale, low-cost and easy to use real time communication infrastructure for group conversations across institutional boundaries.
A feature-rich web complemented with real-time communication capability should offer the opportunity for a more component-based approach to including real-time communication in all sorts of e-Learning and e-Research web applications at a low price point and without locking our community to any particular vendor or solution.
On the charter of the TERENA task force
- To investigate whether and how WebRTC based solutions and services can be used to enable large scale, easy-to-use, easy to integrate and low-cost use of real-time communication across institutional boundaries for all researchers, lecturers, administrative staff and students in European R&E.
- To ensure the European NRENs are well positioned to realise the full potential of WebRTC technology for their community as the technology emerges in the years to come.
- To foster the establishment of an NREN knowledge community as a recognised representative for the European R&E in relevant Web-RTC arenas.
- To build competence, track national developments, collect use cases as well as demonstrate possibilities and identify possible challenges.
- To imagine future WebRTC-based NREN services and infrastructural components that contribute to a smooth evolution of the real time communication infrastructure.
- To liaise with the GN4 SA8 WebRTC Task as well as with commercial partners and industry led standardisation activities related to WebRTC by providing an open, public forum for gathering and exchanging wider aspects, knowledge and expertise.
Terena’s representatives will be present at the conference and will be happy to meet attending companies.